Thursday, October 25, 2012

The 30 day Fatburner Diet; Here's to a new, healthier me!

So, there comes that time in the year (or your life) when you decide it's time to take control of your weight (if it has gotten out of hand like mine). I'm approximately 1.64 m tall and weigh 75 kg. You might think that should be acceptable, but it's actually outside the BMI  range for my weight and height. And maybe I feel this way because Summer is coming up soon and I want to look GOOD, or perhaps I just need a cleansing. What I do know, is I feel a little unhappy with my body shape, and as much as exercising is helping (and it is!), I am challenging myself to change my diet, at least for a month. I found a book called "The 30 day Fat Burner Diet" by Patrick Holford (1999. Yes it is OOOLD!), on my sisters' bookshelf, and I loved it! (well the parts I read).Now don't get the wrong idea, I don't plan on starving myself for the next month. This diet is not like the many other ones around. The book gives you a menu for breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks, for four weeks, including the recipes for each meal. It also provides you with a shopping list, and progress reports so you can monitor your weight loss. I am not going to be monitoring mine, however. These meals that suggest you eat are structured such that you will be receiving the correct proportions of carbohydrates, proteins and essential fatty acids. I shall be avoiding many of my favourite things, including coffee and chocolate (most importantly!). The book explains very simply the foods that are good for you and why and also debunks many diet and weight loss myths I will be posting the menu for each day and also comments on the meals I will be preparing and consuming. You will notice that the recipes are actually pretty simple and quick to prepare, and quite interesting. By the end of 30 days, we'll see the results :)

Day 1: 25 October 2012 (Thursday) 

Breakfast: Porridge (I had a banana instead)
Lunch: Apple and Tuna salad with oat cakes (I couldn't find any oat cakes so I got sesame rye crispbread  instead) 
Supper: Steamed fried vegetables with tofu and brown basmati rice
Snacks: Two pieces of fruit plus nuts/seeds
Drinks: Unlimited water, herb teas, coffee alternatives, dilutes juice


Apple and tuna salad
1 red apple, chopped
3 oz (80 g) tuna in brine, drained
2 sticks of celery, sliced
1 large handful bean sprouts
1 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
2.5 oz (70 g) natural live yoghurt
black pepper

Drain the tuna and combine it with the other salad ingredients. Blend the mayonnaise and yoghurt and mix it into the salad. season with black pepper. Serve with oat cakes.

Steamed fried vegetables with tofu and brown basmati rice
Steam fry onion and garlic in the chosen seasoning (Thai, Chinese, Mexican, Mediterranean, Indian). Add tofu and steam fry until cooked. Add a little water and the vegetables Simmer until the vegetables are cooked but still crunchy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons in catlife-Guest post by Tami the cat

Meow fellow felines My name is Tami. I am a shorthaired domestic tabby who was abandoned, until the lovely hoomins (aka humans-these are...