Monday, June 1, 2015

Tis the season...to be sick? Not!

So Winter is coming/here (Sorry had to include the pic below :D)

Image result for winter is coming
Thick jackets and jerseys are coming out, ugs and boots are making appearances, hoodies and beanies are taking over.
Image result for so coldAnd lets not forget off course, viruses and bacteria, coming out to party!
 Image result for virus and bacteria having a  party

Over the last week or so, I have been feeling a little iffy, sore throat here and there, body aches, migraines...Now I probably give my immune system more credit than I should...and should probably have taken some preventative measures to ensure I do not end up sick (especially when I will be going home in three days! Yay!) But I didn't...and I'm sick.


 
   Image result for sick person cartoon images      
Being a student, with no medical aid, going to the doctors every time I get sick (fluish, nothing too hardcore), is NOT an option. A visit can cost me up to a R1000. SO I self diagnose and medicate (to the best of my ability-but only when it comes to your basic flu stuff...if you are experiencing any uncommon or serious situations...you REALLY should visit a doctor!)

Anyway, I'm pretty sure everybody knows by now what works well, but for those who don't, I thought I would share five simple, yet effective ideas/products I approve of :)

1. Garlic may ward off your kissing partner, but it will ward off viruses too!
Image result for garlicGarlic contains antiviral properties, and chewing a clove of raw garlic can prevent your mild flu from developing into something worse. (It does not taste like chocolate, and does burn a little, so you could also cut them into little pieces an swallow as you would a pill)

2. Tumeric, ginger, and honey milk
Image result for turmeric ginger and milk 
I was brought up on this stuff! (Probably an Indian thing haha). And who would not want to have this??? Four amazing ingredients, that together make a potent and delicious flu fighting potion! Anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-bacterial...the list goes on! 


3. VIX
This stuff is awesome and helps SOOO much, especially with a tight chest and blocked nose!
Also, if you add some to boiling water, and breathe this in, while holding a  towel over your head (just try not to burn yourself), this will help clear up and unblock your nose :)
   Image result for vix vapor rub
4. Woods' Great Peppermint Cure  
                                                                  
This stuff is cheap, and it works! And! You can find it at almost any store :D
The cough syrup is really good! And the lozengers work wonders for a sore throat!
Image result for woods peppermint cure lozengers
Image result for woods peppermint cure 
5. Fruit
A lot of the times when you're sick, your appetite goes away, and you don't really feel like eating anything. I've found that most of the time I can stomach fruit! Now all fruits have some or the other benefit, but some of my favourites, that are high in antioxidants, vitamins, etc.  include berries, papaya, and grape fruit! Eat them separately or combine them in a smoothie! They're deelicious and nutritious :)

Image result for grapefruitImage result for berries
  
Image result for papaya 
Hope this post has been as helpful as intended! Keep warm and fight that flu like a ninja ;)
Image result for flu fighting ninja

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons in catlife-Guest post by Tami the cat

Meow fellow felines My name is Tami. I am a shorthaired domestic tabby who was abandoned, until the lovely hoomins (aka humans-these are...